Pythagoras Lodge No. 74 began as a study group and has practiced the tenets of Ancient Freemasonry since 1920. In the early part of the Twentieth Century there were few Masons in the Rockville community and no organized lodges. Despite this lack of organized Freemasonry, these few brothers were still bound to one another by the ties of our great fraternity. Because they had a strong desire to form a lodge, these brothers met informally for about a year while they awaited action on their petition to the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge F.& A.M. of the State of Maryland and its Jurisdiction (MWPHGLMD) for a dispensation to establish a lodge in Rockville, Maryland.
On May 21, 1921, Grand Master Joseph P. Evans of the MWPHGLMD issued a charter to the study group with WM James Johnson, SW Alphonso Lee, and JW William Smith as the elected officers of the lodge. The lodge became what is now Pythagoras Lodge # 74, which first met at the Fisherman’s Hall in Rockville, Maryland. From these humble yet determined beginnings, a proud and long-standing tradition began; a tradition of service to the community and of exhibiting the highest principles of Masonry. Following the grant of its charter, the brothers of Pythagoras continued to meet regularly with Masonry flourishing in Rockville for two decades until dark times fell upon the lodge.
In the early 1940s many brothers were called upon by the United States government to fight for freedom and democracy in far away lands during World War II. Ironically, these men were being called to fight in foreign lands to preserve the very same freedoms denied them at home. As a result of many of Pythagoras’ membership serving in the war, the lodge could not meet and a dark period ensued from 1940 to 1945. Following the war, the desire to re-ignite the flame of Masonry in Rockville could not be dampened. Thanks to the efforts of Brothers Horace Hicks, Raymond Smith, Alphonso Lee and many others, Pythagoras Lodge #74 re-opened its doors in 1945 and has been a mainstay in the Maryland Prince Hall Masonic family ever since.
After years of working towards securing a more suitable home for the lodge, in 1969 Pythagoras acquired its current home at 15812 Esquire Court in Rockville.